April 2, 2013 § Leave a Comment
If you’ve ever attempted a refresh or update of your tired home interiors, you’ll appreciate how time consuming and painstaking even a small home renovation project can be. That’s why, at Fanuli we offer a custom design service which is aimed at taking the hassle and fuss out of interior design.
Our team of expert design consultants are on hand 24/7 to help you achieve your dream living design space – which is why we’re highlighting their work in our special blog series which takes a look at Fanuli Interiors. In the first article of our new series, we introduced you to one of our expert professional interior design consultants – Bernard Radcliffe.
Read on to learn more about, Chermaine Thompson, one of our longest team members, and an integral component of the Fanuli Interiors design services family:
Provide us a brief history of your experience as an interior design: I studied at the ANU for 3 years for my bachelor of arts focusing on interior design, painting, sculpture and designer furniture. After my studies I worked as a design consultant at a custom joinery studio for three years before landing my position at Fanuli’s designer furniture store in Sydney, and the rest is history as they say!
If you could describe your interior design services aesthetic in 3 words what would they be? contemporary, organic & now.
What is your favorite room in (or outside!) a house to design? Definitely the living room – this is where I (and most people) spend most of my time when at home, and so it’s one of the most important rooms in any house.
If you had to choose your favorite designer furniture piece, what would it be? Hmm, that’s a tough one - I have too many favorites! But if I had to choose, my top 3 designer furniture items would be:
1. Shelf from kristalia
If you could give one piece of advice to home renovators, what would it be?
It may be simple advice, but it is the best: Less is always more…
Regardless of your living design space needs, Fanuli Interiors offers help in all areas of interior design – from simply deciding on what sort of designer furniture to buy for your next interior project, to advice on finishing’s & upholstery, Fanuli interior design services can provide you with a cost effective, seamless solution to all your design living space requirements. Contact us today to arrange a consultation here.
January 1, 2013 § 1 Comment
Well it’s that time of year again – the time to dust off your old notebook, check off any completed resolutions from the year just past… and to get your thinking cap on to start a new list! This time last year, did you make any grand home renovation plans? Perhaps you were filled with inspiration and ambition to buy that beautiful piece of designer furniture you’ve had your eye on for months, or redo that living design space which seems to be stuck in an eighties time warp?
Like many enthusiastic (yet time poor) home owners, you’d be forgiven for having time run away with you – not to worry, this year can be different. A brand new year, filled with endless possibilities, and the chance to improve your home once and for all! To help get you started, here are our top 5 home improvement resolutions for 2013:
- Invest in a quality contemporary designer sofa
If your home is your castle, then your lounge room could easily be likened to its beating heart – used as a place for relaxation, family time, and often as a make-shift dining room, the lounge room should be at the top of anyone’s home improvement list, since its also the area likely to get the most daily foot traffic. What better way to enhance your living design space then, by investing in a luxurious new contemporary designer sofa to enhance this area? If your current sofa is falling to bits, come visit the Fanuli designer furniture store Sydney and view our array of beautiful designer sofas to suit any tastes. Our personal favourite? The stunning ‘Groundpeice‘ contemporary designer sofa by Antonio Citterio:
- Double the value of your home by freshening up your outdoor living space
Regardless of whether you plan to sell in the near future, or just want to ensure a great return on investment years down the track, overseeing a redesign of your balcony, deck or backyard can give your home the perfect, cost effective ‘facelift’ its been needing. Best of all you don’t need mounds of money or a big earth-mover truck to make a difference. Plan your area with statement designer contemporary outdoor furniture pieces, such as imported Italian ‘Hamptons Lounge’ by Roberti – this ultra durable designer sofa comes in a range of modulars, including ottomans, armchairs and coffee tables. Resistant to UV light and woven from sun-loom polyethylene fibers, this stunning designer furniture ensemble would make the perfect statement piece for your outdoor entertainment area:
- De-clutter your bedroom by investing in a bespoke contemporary wardrobe
The curse of modern life is that we all seem to accumulate things at an alarming pace! Whether its shoes, clothes, books, or even the latest iPad incarnation by Apple, sometimes the conventional contemporary wardrobe just doesn’t cut it where storage is concerned. Why not treat yourself to the latest in stunning designer furniture and invest in a completely tailor made inbuilt designer wardrobe? Our pick: Plana Hinged Doors 3 by acclaimed imported italian designer Jesse Furniture. Available in a range of elegant finishes including timber, lacquer and high gloss, this stunning modular robe system is especially designed to fit any designer bedroom space:
- Make meal time special for all the family with a new designer dining table
Busy work schedules, a plethora of after-school activities, and just sheer convenience means more and more home meals are being left by the way-side in favour of a microwave dinner in front of the television. Resolve this year to make meal time a special event that the whole family will enjoy; by investing in a stunning new designer dining table. One of Fanuli Furnitures stand out new arrivals is ‘Vero‘ designer contemporary dining table by Italian powerhouse AB Design. Uniquely constructed with sculptured legs crafted from solid American walnut, this is one designer furniture piece which will become part of your family tradition forever:
- Take the stress out of home improvement: book an appointment with an interior design professional
Home renovation is supposed to be fun! But there’s no point breaking your back and wasting your time if interior design just isn’t your thing. Deciding on the right designer furniture pieces for you home can be time consuming, exhausting and quite frankly downright difficult, especially if you’re stumped on where to start. That’s why Fanuli Furniture offers a in-home decorating service dedicated to creating your dream living design space with the help of our expert interior design staff. Interested? Learn more about Fanuli interior design services here.
Your home is not just a place to rest during down time, its also the best investment you can make in your future, so keeping it well maintained can pay dividends in years to come – regular home improvement and updates of designer furnishings are the best way to keep your home in tip top shape.
What are your top home improvement resolutions this year?
September 2, 2012 § Leave a Comment
You don’t have to be a handyman (or woman for that matter!) to enjoy home improvement projects. In fact, it doesn’t matter what your budget – whether you plan to invest in big ticket items like designer sofa’s or contemporary dining chairs; or even if your budget only extends to buying a few key designer furniture accessories – everyone can benefit from freshening up their existing décor. The below are our top tips on how to get started on your next home improvement project:
1. Decide on the space you plan to style/restyle: If you’re like most of us, there’s not just one room in the house you want to spruce up, but the best way to prioritize which rooms take precedence over others is to focus on those that will provide you with the best return on investment (regardless of whether you are planning to sell your home or not). The rooms which add the most value to your house are the kitchen, bedrooms, lounge room and bathroom areas, so begin with these and then work your way down the line.
2. Decide on your budget: How much money you plan to spend is very important – it is what will ultimately determine what your style capabilities will be, and also the limitations you will face. Begin by putting together a wish list of items you would like to buy, out them down in a notebook or excel sheet, and calculate what is achievable, and what is not. The other thing to think over is what designer furniture items are absolutely essential, and the ones which you can do without. For eg. if the room you plan to do over is a bedroom, the obvious investment piece will be your choice of classic or contemporary designer bed frame, and secondary to this would be designer furniture wardrobes or lighting.
3. Decide on whether you want to engage with a professional interior designer, or undertake the project entirely by yourself: Sometimes the thought of new renovations can be daunting and you may not be sure of your own personal style – if your budget allows, it may be worth hiring an interior designer who can show you how to get the most for your money. At Fanuli we realise how time consuming it can be when deciding on the right pieces for your home so that’s why we created Fanuli Interior – we can help to create your dream space, so visit our designer furniture store Sydney or call us today to speak with one of our helpful design consultants.
4. Don’t discount the importance of designer lighting: Choosing designer furniture to occupy the large spaces in your home is always going to take precedence when buying new items for your room, however don’t forget designer lighting – it can make a huge difference on how your design space is perceived. In fact, choosing the right floor or wall lamp can create an optical illusion which makes the space seem larger.
5. Choose quality over quantity: Sometimes you may feel a temptation to skimp on key designer furniture items in order to be able to furnish your room – just remember that you will often save money in the long run by investing in imported Italian designer furniture pieces and other stylish furniture accessories which are better made and more durable and long lasting.
These are just a few suggestions to get you started on your next home renovation project – another great resource is to search online and get a feel for the types of styles, whether they be classic or contemporary, which your personal style extends to. Reading up on how others planned and managed their interior design project can provide great ideas and help you save money and time on your own. Have you just started or completed a home redesign project? Tell us any tips you picked up along the way – or let us know if you have any queries we can help you with!
August 5, 2012 § 1 Comment
With more and more of Australia’s working population opting to work from home rather than braving the morning telecommuter crush, it’s no wonder home office designer furniture and accessories are growing in popularity. A well-furnished home office needs to be comfortable, functional and designed to suit your interior design tastes; whether they be more suited to classic or contemporary styles.
From modern furniture cabinets, to classic Italian furniture designer desks, down to your choice of contemporary design lighting to accentuate your place of work, the below are our hints on how to equip your home office with the best pieces:
- Consider how much space you have: A common mistake to make is to under-estimate how much room you have in your designated area for your home office. Make sure you measure the space you have allocated, and when visiting designer furniture stores to buy your home furnishings, don’t be afraid to ask about measurements of the designer furniture you have your eye on. Cramped for space? check out the ‘Sushi 3’ by Bartoli design which comes in a range of modern colors, and is the perfect compact work station for home offices on the smaller side.
- Decide on your color palette: The color palette you choose will ultimately impact the direction your home office furnishings will be styled in, and will also determine the type of environment you want your home office to be. For example, if you are looking for a calming, stress-free vibe you may want to choose blues and greens for serenity. Perhaps you want to get the creative juices flowing – try reds or purples for vitality. Or perhaps you’d like to err on the side of neutrality and pick natural tones for your paint palette, but make a statement with designer furniture pieces in vibrant bold colors to break up the space like ‘Plate on Castors’ by Luca Nichetto below:
- Take your time choosing the perfect designer desk: Arguably the most important designer furniture piece to decide on, your designer desk needs to be big enough to store all your work equipment, and at the same time suit the décor of your room without dominating the main space areas. Our top picks for designer desks include:
Or for the more traditional interior connoisseur, whose tastes range more along the classic designer furniture aesthetic; check out the CG40-A which is an original Fanuli designer furniture store Sydney piece:
- Don’t forget your home interior lighting: An often overlooked aspect of home offices, your lighting choices (whether they stray to contemporary design lighting or the more classic Italian furniture lampshades!), are extremely important not only for the visual quality of your home office, but also in terms of your working environment and how comfortable you will feel when using the room. Choose floor-standing lamps which direct a lot of light to your designer desk, or wall-pendant version. Our pick? Check out ‘Gilda & Baby Gilda’ by Italian designer furniture specialist Enrico Franzolini:
No matter how much space & natural light your home office space has, or the designer furniture accessories you decide on, always stay true to your own sense of style. Choose designer furniture that reflects your own eclectic or classic tastes, and furnishings that are built to last. Ultimately, your home office will be an area of your home which is much-used, so take your time in purchasing quality designer furniture which you will be happy with in years to come.
What are your top tips on home office designer furniture? What are your favorite designer furniture pieces from the above?
June 12, 2012 § Leave a Comment
Have you just purchased your very first piece of imported Italian furniture? Or perhaps you are an accomplished stylish designer furniture enthusiast with a flair for renovation and plenty of home improvement projects under your belt? Either way, you’ve probably at some stage had a question about designer furniture you would have loved to ask an expert! That’s where Fanuli comes in – this article is all about the most frequent questions we get asked about our beautiful range of classic and contemporary designer furniture when customers come and visit us in our furniture store Sydney.
- How can I care for my quality timber dining room table?
Since wooden designer furniture products contain a relatively high amount of water, it’s important to know the basics of caring for your dining room table. Try to minimise its proximity to any sources of heat, do not expose to direct sunlight and when cleaning, opt for thick, dry cloths made of silken materials to polish and remove stains with.
- What is eco-friendly designer furniture?
When renovating, you want to invest in the best designer furniture products which have been created without harming the earth. ‘Eco-friendly’ designer furniture describes any designer furniture pieces which are made of recycled or renewable materials, that have been manufactured using the least amount of energy, and are free of any carcinogens or toxins.
- How can I protect my contemporary leather sofa from wear and tear?
Contemporary leather sofas are not only visually stunning, but they also provide a comfortable centrepiece to any living space, and when you are buying quality imported Italian designer furniture, you want to make sure you protect it from every-day life. Clean and condition your leather every 4 to 6 months with ph.-balanced cleaning products, apply leather conditioning cream and then use a buffer to polish.
- What is the best type of fabric to upholster contemporary dining chairs with?
Put simply, any type of thick-weave material can be used to upholster your contemporary dining chairs with – whether it be nylon, polyester or blends. That said, a hot trend of 2012 is contemporary dining chairs made from alternate materials such as polished aluminium and polyurethane. Not only will you never need to invest in getting your dining room furniture reupholstered again, but you will also have the added benefit of its lightweight design and easy clean surface!
- How can I choose a colour palette for my designer bedroom furniture?
Since your bedroom is often the place you spend the most time in when at home, it’s important to pick out a colour palette which you will be happy with no matter what the season. Firstly, decide on what you want your overall theme to be, and make sure you consider the space (is it small or large?), the designer furniture (if you have existing products which will complement the chosen palette) and any special requirements you have. If in doubt – go neutral!
So there you have it – just a few of our regularly asked questions on designer furniture and contemporary living. What have you always wanted to know about imported Italian designer furniture?
June 4, 2012 § 2 Comments
For many designer furniture lovers, home decorating isn’t just a hobby – it’s a full blown passion! Australian’s spend more money on key interior design pieces like dining chairs, contemporary bedroom furniture and unique lighting features than on any other home purchase.
- In medieval times, furniture was scarce (let alone the types of stylish Italian furniture we import today!), in fact, it was commonplace to move furniture from room to room. The only buildings to house “designer furniture” at all was churches – and the types of chairs and classic wardrobes found there were often huge, immovable and purposely made to be uncomfortable.
- The most expensive English designer furniture antique to be sold in an auction is ‘The Harrington Commode’ – a classic designer furniture cabinet said to belong to furniture designer Thomas Chippendale and around 240 years old. It sold for almost $6,000,000 Australian dollars! What do you think? Would you pay that much for it?
- A popular trait in classic designer furniture leather chairs is the row of metal tacks used to hold down upholstery – this is an official trim technique known as ‘nail head trim’; and the tacks are usually round-headed and highly decorative.
- The ‘Wassily’ chair, designed by Marcel Breuer is one of the most famous modern designer furniture icons – considered revolutionary for its early use of non-timber materials; this contemporary dining chair was made from bent tubular steel and canvas.
- Have you been searching for the perfect chair to complement your modern office furniture? Spare a thought for the humble office chair, whose earliest beginnings is said to have begun with Charles Darwin (yes, the same man who is known for his evolution theory!), adding wheels to his personal lab chair so he could get to his specimens more quickly.
Do you have an interesting trivia fact about designer furniture that you know? Or perhaps you have always wanted to know the answer to something about interior design or your latest home decoration project? Stay tuned, as next week we will bring you Fanuli’s expert guide to frequently asked questions about designer furniture.
May 27, 2012 § Leave a Comment
Fanuli Special Report Series: Milan Furniture Fair 2012
Your sneak peek at this seasons hot new designer furniture trends
In Part 3 of our feature special on the 2012 Milan Furniture Fair, we caught up with the Kristalia team and gave you a sneak peak at their new range. In this, our last article of the series we bring the latest designer furniture looks from our other long standing partner, Jesse Furniture.
This year, Jesse’s exhibition space was set up as 3 individual ‘houses’ – each with living, dining and bedroom furniture displays. Each individual ‘house’ reflected a different price point, from entry-level designer furniture, to medium priced products, with the last house featuring the highest price point/sophistication. As always, Jesse’s focus was on value for money pieces. Highlights included:
- Satin lacquers making a comeback
- Star materials were natural timbers like oak, tobacco and walnut.
- Trialling a new natural oak finish for wardrobe interiors
New products to watch out for:
- ‘Charlie’ side tables: Funky, contemporary pieces in round, square & rectangle with a timber tripod base and lacquer top.
- ‘Nap’ cabinets: ideal for bedrooms with limited widths, or higher ensemble beds. Comes in new, rough textured finish ‘Saw Cut Lacquer’
- ‘Haiku’ armchair: comes in mini version, with loose linen cover.
- ‘Daniel’ sofa bed: Modular, contemporary designer furniture sofa brings a relaxed look without dressy stitching. Great price point.
- ‘Manhattan’ bookcase: natural timber texture, great use of space and style.
- ‘Pascal’ bed frame: Upholstered, with contrast stitching and hndy new storage system (mattress lifts up and moves horizontally while elevated for easy access)
- ‘Elliot’ modular/sofa bed: A casual, contemporary look with exaggerated piping and removable cover for easy washing.
- New wardrobe styles in hinged and sliding doors which combine panels of satin, gloss and stained frosted glass.
As with Kristalia’s exhibition stand, we noticed a huge switch from previously popular classic designer furniture to the new emerging trend of contemporary pieces. This article is our last in the 4 part special series on Milan’s Furniture Fair – tell us what you thought about the series? We hope you enjoyed it!
May 16, 2012 § Leave a Comment
Fanuli Special Report Series: Milan Furniture Fair 2012
Your sneak peek at this seasons hot new designer furniture trends
At Fanuli, we pride ourselves on selecting the most exquisite, stylish designer furniture pieces for you, and are a proud stockist of Kristalia modern and contemporary furniture pieces for many years. We caught up with the Kristalia team at this year’s Milan Furniture Fair, whose general theme for home interior design furniture this year focuses on eco-friendly, recyclable materials.
The below is our top picks for their new range:
- The much-loved poetically minimalist ‘Joko’ contemporary dining room chair now comes in a complete range which includes stool & carver chair with arms
- The ‘Thin-K’ modern dining room table is now available in satin frosted glass
- A standout in new designer furniture, ‘Mem’ by Christophe Pillet is a new indoor/outdoor chair in polypropylene which can be stacked and is available in a range of colours
- Great for small spaces, and commercial design projects, the new TNP outdoor table features a metal pedestal base and comes in white, black & red colour palettes.
- Looking for stylish outdoor furniture? The ‘Poule’ folding table is available in black & white, and a range of sectional shapes. Particularly suitable for small unit balconies
- The ‘Neat’ table now comes in walnut or beech timber veneer base.
- Popular outdoor dining table ‘Sushi 12’ now comes in new paper stone finish – made from recycled paper and resin, this eco-friendly designer furniture piece is the latest in organic design.
- For clever storage solution, the shelf wall mount bookcase comes in 3 different sizes and colours, and features a unique modern display system.
- Similarly the ‘blio’ wall mounted bookcase provides a more tailored unit which comes in 7 different height/depth combinations.
As with our previous years, Kristalia’s stand at the Milan Furniture fair was extremely popular with visitors attending and viewing their huge new range of designer furniture products, as well as varied materials for evergreen favourites. One thing to note is the emergence of contemporary designer furniture leading the way, with many classic furniture pieces being left behind. Do you prefer classic or contemporary designer furniture?
May 1, 2012 § 1 Comment
Fanuli Special Report Series: Milan Furniture Fair 2012
Your sneak peek at this seasons hot new designer furniture trends
Last week, Fanuli made its annual pilgrimage across the sea to attend the Salone Internazionale del Mobile… aka the Milan Furniture Fair. This prestigious event is known as the largest home design exhibition in world, and is held every year in Italy to showcase the latest in classic and contemporary designer furniture and designer furniture accessories.
The 2012 event certainly did not disappoint! An overall theme of relaxed yet sophisticated interiors was highlighted with an emphasis on using natural elements and finishes, as well as recyclable eco-friendly materials.
This article is the first in a 4 part series which will give you an insider’s look on the hot new designer furniture trends to watch out for this season. Here, we give you the low-down on finishes, mechanisms & hot colors:
In keeping with the theme of the fair, designer furniture stands reflected earthy highlights in natural finishes to create a relaxed and casual atmosphere. Trends included:
- Natural woods and timbers stripped back rather than using heavy manufactured stains
- Satin lacquers, including new saw-cut lacquer finish
- Loose cover finishes and natural linens, combined with easy care and maintenance options
- Natural textured oak and beech
No matter whether showcased in TV wall units, or modern furniture cabinets, this year the emphasis for stylish Italian designer furniture mechanisms was on soft closes, smooth sliding and soundless hinged wardrobe doors.
All door glides elegantly opened and closed, coming to a smooth stop. In particular, the new flush sliding door system provided was a delight to behold – the door when open pops forward and slides over the top of the other door. When closed, it reverts back into a flush position – an excellent example of stylish imported furniture design.
Hot Color Palettes
This year’s natural fiber theme was most apparent in the soft, earthy, muted tones displayed throughout on Italian stool, designer desks and modern designer furniture pieces alike. Highlights included:
- Fabrics & leather in sand and naturals
- Soft lacquers contrasted with natural wood textures such as American walnut, natural oak, tobacco & beech
- Metals combined with wood finishes
- Natural linens
Are you a fan of the natural look? Or do you tend to go for chrome and metallic modern furniture accessories?
….Want more from the fair? Check out our 2nd Milan Fair installment in the series: The hottest new designer furniture trends straight from the fair
April 22, 2012 § 1 Comment
Your bedroom is not only a sanctuary within your home; it’s also the room where you likely spend the most time. You sleep there, get ready for work there, study and often spend leisurely nights watching TV snuggled in your doona before bed time. Choosing classic Italian furniture which compliments your personal tastes need not be a difficult experience – in our below article we bring you six of the latest contemporary designer furniture ensembles to guarantee you’ll never want to leave the room again!
This beautiful, fully upholstered bed frame comes in a vast range of wooden textures including tobacco, oak and walnut and features a stunning selection of removable luxurious fabrics. Not only is this contemporary designer furniture piece fully customisable, its orthopedic slatted base ensures you will be fully supported and comfortable as you lay your head down to sleep each night.
The latest in Italian bedroom furniture design, ‘Soho’ can be purchased as both a bedside ensemble or standalone dresser, and features a flexible drawer system to house even the most challenging storage requirements. A unique, beautifully made piece of stylish Italian furniture, ‘Soho’ is guaranteed to make a striking statement as part of any classic or contemporary bedroom furniture layout.
Luxurious, matchless and irreplaceable, the ‘Elysee’ bed-frame combines classic designer furniture elements with a sturdy, reliable orthopedic slatted base. If your designer furniture style includes the necessity to have the latest in style, as well as pieces that are guaranteed to be envied by everyone who visits your home – then this is the bed frame for you.
Perhaps your refined tastes run to the more classic designer furniture staples and you are looking for something to compliment your established collection of fine Italian furniture? The Charleston dresser by Grande Arredo is crafted from sold cherry-wood and evokes memories of years gone past whilst still retaining a modern feel.
Available in an astounding range of widths, heights and finishes, ‘Stage’ by Jesse is guaranteed to suit any interior design project. Sophisticated, with clean lines and a high gloss lacquer which is easy to clean, this flexible drawer storage system is one of a kind.
What would a modern bedroom furniture layout be without contemporary design lighting? Bartoli’s hand blown floor & table lamps come in chrome and satin milk white glass, providing a muted illumination effect. Beautiful and versatile, these designer furniture pieces are at home in every living space – not only as a bedroom furniture essential, but also in dining rooms, living rooms and even as stunning entry-hall talking pieces.
What is your favorite designer bedroom furniture piece? Do you prefer modern or classic furniture styles?